market-farming - Re: drip tape pick-up and storage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: drip tape pick-up and storage
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 18:59:18 -0500

Chris Sawyer wrote:

> I burn the holes with my flame weeder,
> it makes a
> perfect 2 inch hole every time. (tricky to get the flame just right so it
> is not too hot and wont go out when you brand the plastic)

Is it fair to say that flame weeders are a standard item of use now for
organic gardners/marketers?

What brands do you folks recommend?

We definitely plan to buy one next spring and connect to the standard LP
tank. I have heard that the backpack type are considered too dangerous. But
in order to carry it around easily, are there any dolly's that work well?
The typical welding tank dolly's would seem to be much too large.

Between flame weeding and the new organic "roundup", I hope that our weed
control will improve a whole lot next year from this years dismal control:)

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Dairy heifers and dairy beef graziers