market-farming - Re: To certify or not to certify

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: To certify or not to certify
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:45:07 -0500

Alison and all,

I like Coleman's "authentic." We need something to distinguish our farm
products from the organish pap that will be produced and over processed.

He spoke a few years ago in North Carolina about a European system where
stores
posted their guidelines for buying food- what they didn't allow used. He said
this system tended to disallow more and more unsustainable farming methods,
thus
improving the quality of food.

In contrast, he said that the organic standards for this country would get
degraded over time by vested interests. (Hey! It's the American way!)

The Food Alliance in Oregon certifies sustainable practices and farms who meet
guidelines:
http://www.thefoodalliance.org/

But are we getting back to organic certification under another name? And will
the food cartel move in on that, too? Maybe we need another approach.

BTW, this is one of the topics at the Southern SAWG Conference coming up this
weekend- how farmers who don't recertify can market. Check it out:
http://attra.ncat.org/ssawg/

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm