market-farming - Re: To certify or not to certify

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: jeffery uhlig <juhlig AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: To certify or not to certify
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 13:12:49 -0600

Hi list,
Just to put our two cents worth in. This was to be our first season to
certify. We will not. We do not agree that the Feds taking over the "O"
word is a good thing, however the word no longer satisfies what we are
trying to do here at Buff Rock Farm so we are going to use the word
Sustainable in all our marketing materials and web site. Since most of
our customers are referrals or web site contacts we can do a better job
of explaining what we do in person to person mailings and contacts. I
feel more for the large grain farms who will have to double certify
because the EU and Japan certainly will not accept our governments
definition of organic and they will have to certify to those entities
standards if they want to sell in those markets. Jeff Uhlig