market-farming - fire ants in green house

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "medicinal plant garden" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: fire ants in green house
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:05:42 -0500

Help. I am overwintering mature lemon grass plants(cymopogon citratus) in
8,10 & 16 inch pots, in a greenhouse that keep minimum heat at approx. 55
degrees (in N. Mississippi). A number of my pots are infested with fire
ants (boy, do they hurt when they bite!) We are university program with no
concern for organic methods so I was told to poison the ants. But my
personal commitment is organic and I am anxious to do this the least toxic
way. Any suggestions, companies, etc. If I have a good solution, no one
will insist I use poison! I am only concerned with keeping the lemon
grass alive (not necessarily encouraging new growth) until we can separate
propagules for field plantings. Many thanks, nan