market-farming - To certify or not to certify

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'SANET Listserv' <SANET-MG AT LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU>, 'market farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: To certify or not to certify
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 08:29:08 -0600

Good Monday morning!

We have looked at this question for a year or so now, and I don't think we
are alone in weighing whether we do the organic certification or not. We do
believe that if we do not certify organic, that whatever we LABEL ourselves,
should be a label that a lot of us share to aid in the education of
consumers process. To that end, have any of you read the article in the
current issue of Mother Earth News by Eliot Coleman? He suggests the term
"Authentic Food" and has a list of how food would qualify as such. He
invites all growers to join him in using the term. One of the folks from the
Kerr Center brought it to our attention, and we thought we'd pass it along
for more conversation. Any thoughts?

Paul and Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

Alison Wiediger, Technician
Hart County Schools
awiediger AT hart.k12.ky.us