market-farming - market-farming Chefs (was Fast Food and Slow Food)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dori Green" <dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: market-farming Chefs (was Fast Food and Slow Food)
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 08:04:48 -0400

Vicki Madden <vlmadden AT spacelab.net> wrote:

"I think it would be a great idea for farmers to get together with chefs"

I do too. So I tried it. And for a season it worked really well, with plans for major expansion the next season and an invitation to bring the seed catalogs to him in January.

In January there's a new guy who gets everything he needs from Sofco at a good price and he only has to deal with one invoice, sorry. It just takes too danged long to build the relationship and it's too draining to have it all go poof like this, so I haven't pursued any others.

I did try one other. That chef agreed wholeheartedly with me that fresh herbs would be great to add to his menu. So he bought three acres and grows his own.

Dori Green
Ash Grove Community Farm
Corning, NY