market-farming - Re: Dog control

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT marketfarming.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Dog control
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 07:28:59 -0400

On one hand I want this thread to drop.  On the other hand, that's the very reason for this list.  We do what we have to do, to continue our businesses.  Too many people romanticize farming without facing it's harsh reality.

This list is so we can learn how to maintain our market farms.  If I had had this list 2 years ago I might not have come home to the carnage my daughters witnessed.  Due to feral dogs.

I don't care if the dogs were victims.  But I'm higher on the food chain, and I'll be damned if I take the chance of one of my daughter's being shredded instead of a bunch of chickens & rabbits--which very likely could have happened as it did during broad daylight, with no neighbors or distractions in sight.

I'll be the first one to protest unnecessary killing--of any animal.  I have nothing against dogs--we have 2 labs.  But I will protect what's mine.

I understand Susan's disgust at the particular post to which she referred.  The info didn't mean anything to me, but to someone wondering how to "do it" humanely...who am I to judge.  That's freedom of speech folks. We can exercise ours by hitting delete.

Liz Pike
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield NC
http://www.laughingbrookfarm.com/