market-farming - Re: market-farming Giggle or Cry

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dori Green" <dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: market-farming Giggle or Cry
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 07:47:11 -0400

"Kevin Ancell" <kancell AT goodearthgardens.com>
wrote: "3rd party -coinsured is a standard procedure in the Insurance Business. ...
If it took more than TWO calls let alone TWO years I would have dropped that insurance company like a hot rock. I think I would find a new Insurance
Company tomorrow."

Well, it's easy to give extreme advice. Believe me, I do know that these certificates are standard in the busines -- this very company had handed them over without a whimper for years, then suddenly announced that they just weren't doing that any more. I put a lot of energy into looking for alternate coverage and the best I found would not have given me as comprehensive coverage for all of my farm operations and it would have cost me almost $2000 annually in additional premiums. I'll be very glad to implement this advice if somebody wants to pay for those and cover the risk of losing my farm due to the activities that other agencies won't cover at all.

I'm with Farm Family (Farm Bureau). My policy is miniscule on their scales, and my threat to pull my business impressed them not at all. It wasn't until I threatened to write an article for The Mother Earth News about how the biggest farm insurance company was keeping this poor struggling little organic farm from going to market...

Sometimes it's very good to be a professional writer. But I hate having to play the journalistic blackmail card, especially to get somebody to do their doggone job as they should have done it in the first place. I feel diminished when it comes to that.

That's why the market's denial of space was such a kick in the face. They're taking WIC coupons there, so I'm having a little talk with my friends at Ag & Markets about this. And I still have the editor's address at TMEN.

The issue I was addressing here wasn't insurance hassles (gods and goddesses know there's enough of those), but the absurdity of a farmer's market denying space to a farmer. I shouldn't have to fight for it, and neither should any bona fide grower anywhere.

Dori Green