market-farming - Re: dogs on farm

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BBGREGSON AT cs.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: dogs on farm
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 22:52:33 EDT

After similar tragic experiences with both sheep and chickens, and after
counsel with the law and very experienced livestock folks in our area, we
resorted to what our state organic standards approvingly refer to as
"airborne projectiles". 12 gauge is especially good.... It is tragic all
around if you have to kill marauding animals, but they cannot be kept away
after once having the thrill of the chase and/or kill on your property. I
watched a German Shepherd jump a 6 foot fence to get at our sheep one time.
Incidentally, silence is the best policy afterwords if you do have to kill a
marauder.

Guard dogs or llamas are good if you have time to get them in place and
acclimated, but in the interim it may be necessary to take drastic action if
you want to save your own critters. Good luck on this sad topic.

Bob Gregson