market-farming - Re: dogs on farm

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kevin Ancell" <kancell AT goodearthgardens.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: dogs on farm
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 06:03:10 -0500

>I certainly hope you aren't seriously suggesting someone do this!

I said it was a HORRIBLE death!

I guess I should have said that it was also more effective than Coyote

poison as semi-wild dogs will get wise to the poison. I was merely pointing
out that if a dog needs to be put down and you can not SHOOT it. Antifreeze
would work.

>Antifreeze, even in small amounts, causes kidney failure in cats and dogs,
>and I imagine in any other animal that has the misfortune to get into it.
>Because antifreeze tastes good to them, cats and dogs will lick it right
up.
> If the animal is treated immediately, it can survive, but the owner has to
>act fast.

>I'm sorry about your bird dog. I assume you mean he got into antifreeze;
not
>into hamburger mixed with antifreeze.

Correct. It was dumped in a ditch and our dog drank some of it while we are
out hunting. By the time we noticed his symptoms and took him to the vet 40+
miles away it was too late. Very painful to the dog.