market-farming - Re: dogs on farm

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: dogs on farm
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 04:59:26 -0700

From: marc AT aculink.net
Shoot, Shovel and Shut up. Works for us. Dogs running wild
are not pets but wild dogs.

We had an incident only 4 weeks ago of a dog coming onto the property, she had approached my children while I was down in the field, I came flying up to destract her from them, she came down and nearly licked me to death. She was friendly enough, but hungry, matted and sunken. We called the dog control but no luck in them arriving on time, she found out about the rabbits and chickens, the kids started to "freak out" - she went for them. I put them in the car, with all the commotion the guy who I lease from had heard it came out and took her down in one shot. 2 hours later when dog control finally came to pick up the body he noticed that the dog was very young and commented that she was in a better place that she wasn't very well taken care of. He had also noticed that she didn't suffer for too long as where the one bullet that entered was a good shot, said that when the police are called to take down a dog they usually require more than one bullet. I had also been attacked in the city while walking to work at 6:30am by a pack of 4 dogs, I was pregnant at the time. My experience taught me exactly what Marc said - a dog on the run is a wild dog. Jacqueline