market-farming - dogs killing livestock

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: dogs killing livestock
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 22:56:03 -0400

In our area you are encouraged to shoot any dog that bothers your livestock. Especially if they are in packs.

Last year I heard some howling up by the turkey yard. I grabbed my shotgun and went running. There were two hounds pointing at the turkeys and barking. I raised my gun, aimed at the largest dog, put my finger on the trigger, started to squeeze and the hounds looked at me and smiled with their tongues hanging and their tails wagging.

I didn't shoot.

There was a phone number on one of the collars so I called. The woman was upset. "I let my husband's West Virginia turkey hounds out this morning and they took off. She lived ten miles away.

Talk about specialized breeding. Ten miles in two hours and they found my turkeys. She drove out right away to pick up the dogs before her husband got home from work.

Two weeks ago someone's dog came by in the middle of the night and killed a turkey. It wasn't a West Virginia Turkey Hound.

  • dogs killing livestock, Leigh, 06/05/2001