market-farming - Re: dogs on farm

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Amy K. Johnson" <akjedj AT gamewood.net>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: dogs on farm
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 20:14:50 -0400

I just had my 5 chickens all killed by dogs last week. Just killed, not
eaten at all.

Yesterday, several tore a hole through a screen door in a storage building
and got into the cat food. Called the animal control folks but didn't even
get a return phone call.

These dogs (and there all lots of em in our area) are all hunting-type
dogs and when its not hunting season, they seem to be let to run wild and
fend for themselves, but as soon as one goes missing the owners all start
looking high and low.

I'm ready to shoot and dig, especially as I am known in the area for
shooting rabbits in the garden and squirrels too near my storage building
(they started nesting in it and tearing down the insulation) and so a shot
or two wouldn't raise any eyebrows, but, I can shoot the rabbits and
squirrels with one shot from a 410 shotgun and have them die quietly, the
thing I fear is just maiming a dog and having it holler all the way home.

It really ticks me off at how these so called hunters "care" for their
dogs and also their hunting methods as since I won't give them permission
to hunt, they just run the dogs through and flush out their quarry.

Vexed in VA,
Amy