market-farming - Re: Corn Undressing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom Anslow" <limerock AT thirdplanet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Corn Undressing
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 08:21:12 -0400

This has always been (and probably always will be) a problem for us. What I
try to do, when I have the time, is to show the customer how to 'feel' the
corn through the husk, checking for fully developed ears. I show them how
to run a thumb up the ear to the very tip, feeling how far up the ear the
fully grown kernels extend. Then I make them do it, and then we pull down
the tip of the ear to 'see what we have just felt'. Some like the education
better than others.

Another thing we try to do, is if someone runs their thumb up the corn as
they bag their dozen ears I tell them to take an extra ear or two for NOT
pulling the corn down.

Both of these exercises work best if done loudly with one or two other
customers listening in.

Tom Anslow
Limerock Orchards and Roadside Market