market-farming - Re: Corn Undressing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT marketfarming.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Corn Undressing
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 19:11:04 -0400

>BTW - if every ear that was poked was ripe, you'd never be left with any
>"ruined" ears anyway.

But we do get left with "ruined ears" whether or not they're ripe. The ears
that are poked, opened (virtually shredded) are never bought. And I've seen
a dozen ears treated to this, before the customer decides to buy 6 ears. I
quit selling sweet corn because of this (& the fact that, per square foot,
sweet corn was very low profit. I used the space for higher value crops.)

Liz Pike
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield NC
http://marketfarming.net/laughingbrook/