market-farming - Re: Corn Undressing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jeffery Blake" <echoecho AT bedford.heartland.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Corn Undressing
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:21:43 -0500

I'm a firm believer in "you strip it, poke it, etc., you bought it."

If you don't like it don't come back.

Corn stripping and pokeing is akin to vandalism in my eyes. I wouldn't go
to Walmart and start ripping up the clothes just to find the toughest
outfit.

Sometimes you have to get rude. I would rather never sell to a corn
stripper again than have some lady ruin half a truck load of corn.

I bag the corn myself and don't let the customers touch it. Try to keep a
table or chair in front of the truck. If they ask I will strip a random ear
for them--if they buy, and usually they do, they get that ear. If they
don't I shuck it and throw it on the table so everyone can see.