market-farming - Re: tomato squeezers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: tomato squeezers
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 06:53:35 -0500

Last summer I had a customer at the farmers market who was from Europe - I
don't recall what country. We had a pleasant chat about farmers' markets in
his country and he told me that customers do not handle the produce at the
markets he attends. The vendor asks what the customer wants, bags it,
weighs it and etc...

People are so used to grocery stores in the US. But now I know why so much
produce is pre-packaged or sealed. Everything that people normally abuse
like tomatoes, grapes, ... I even see fresh corn pre-packaged and stripped
back so the customer can see the kernels. I do like to smell tomatoes,
peaches, etc. If they don't smell like the vegetable or fruit I don't buy
them. But again, that's based on grocery store buying where the produce is
often picked green and never ripens properly.