market-farming - PBS tonight - special on GMOs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robin Cheney <rpc25 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: PBS tonight - special on GMOs
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 19:38:36 -0400

Hi all,

I am not sure if someone else has posted this yet, but thought you might
want be interested. Looks interesting!

April 24 PBS, 9.00 pm
NOVA/FRONT LINE special
"Harvest of Fear" about genetically modified food

There is also a good video out called "Big Spuds, Little Spuds" that
contrasts the American Russet industry and local potato production in South
America (Peru I think).

Another interesting thing now that I am on the subject of GMOs. I went to
an interesting seminar last week in the Plant Breeding dept. here at
Cornell. It was given by a Law professor - Drew Kershen. It was called
"Risks of Going Non-GMO" (a more appropriate title would have been "The
Risk for Corporations Going Non-GMO"). The talk (and his paper, available
at SOyGrowers.com, in the information section)was all about how he could go
after corporations in the courts for not going GMO because GMOs have been
scientifically proven to be safer than conventional and especially organic
produce for people and the environment. He said that the corporations that
are yielding to consumer demand are practicing "scientific ignorance" and
that can be argued in a court of law. And I sure you can imagine many more
aspects of his argument. So if you want some reading that may make your
blood boil a little check out the paper.

Robin

Robin Cheney
(607) 255-2155
Field of Development Sociology
Rural Sociology Department
119 Warren Hall, Cornell University
Ithaca, NY, 14853
USA

  • PBS tonight - special on GMOs, Robin Cheney, 04/24/2001