market-farming - Re: soil improvement

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: soil improvement
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 18:38:29 -0800

From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 16:06:15 -0600

Jacqueline - I use pc as permaculture - had not heard of plasticulture -
interesting phrase - I suppose I could use that to describe our fields when
the poly tarp used to cover the sailboat shreds into strips and is blown
into every corner of the farm! We have bird nests made from this blue junk!

joan
windwalker farm
ottawa, kansas

Hi Joan, the Illinois Small Fruit and Strawberry School explains plasticulture in their March 2000 proceedings quite thoroughly. Mostly it is the procedure used in placing black plastic on fields to enduce heat, keep the weeds down and moisture in. In theory it works well, but from what I have seen on our farm it doesn't. Holes are created from customers picking and deer and mice. Weeds pop up everywhere and the plastic tears more. Then you can't till or hoe. Kind of a mess. Jacqueline, Potz' Produce, Kelowna, BC, Canada

---
You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: potzkai AT hotmail.com
Get the list FAQ at: http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/market-farming.faq