market-farming - Re: TRACTORS

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: TRACTORS
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:11:57 -0500

Frank ,goodluck with your tractor I still have my first tractor I bought new
27 years
ago a JD 1530, 45hp diesel and I will never part with it, I found this
machine to be
very reliable and it never let me down, you might try removing the pto safety
shield to
get the pto on easier and always keep your cool when hooking up 3 pt tools,
let the
tractor do the heavy work.
Someone asked about the basket weeder, they are common with the lettuce and
green onion
growers around here but I have only seen them work on light soils over level
raised
beds don't know if they would work on hard clay or loams or on stony uneven
ground, but
they do a great job on the right soil without throwing dirt over small plants.
Hydrostatic drives are great if you need to pull a transplanter at 1/4 mph
but the
transfer of HP to drawbar power is not as good which is why you don't see
hydros on
larger farm tractors, gear drive is always superior, if you need slow speeds
get a
creeper gear trans, and while your at it get easy to adjust rear row crop
wheels...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.