market-farming - Re: Grass Fed Beef

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "William Barry" <unclebil AT bright.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Grass Fed Beef
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 17:35:20 -0500

Not being an expert on this the best I can offer to the discussion is what a
few old timers have told me and personal experience.

Most any beef can be tough. It's true that the younger the better but, the
packing houses have been steadily reducing the "hang time" on the meat they
are processing and the flavor and texture of the meat is greatly affected by
this hang or age time. According to my mentors, the optimum flavor vs.
texture time is 7 to 14 days with the best balance being about 10 days.

BTW, my best butchering book says that beef doesn't reach the real "beef"
flavor until the steer is at least 18 to 24 months old. Anything less and
it's still partly veal. We butchered a Holstein that was over 3 years old
and the meat was very tender (just big, 1 steak to a grill). My steers get
about 6 - 8 pounds of corn per day, the rest is free range pasture.

Bill & Linda Barry
Barry Farm
http://www.barryfarm.com