market-farming - Re: Grass Fed Beef

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sue <swtgrssfrm AT nls.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Grass Fed Beef
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 17:27:13 -0500

I can only speak for our beef but it is very tender and we do not feed any
grain-ever.
I think you also lose the benefit of the natural protection against e-coli if
you feed
grain at the end. I would look at the age of the cow, if the cow is still
gaining
weight at time of slaughter and the meat processor to determine where the
toughness of
the meat is coming from. Our beef is very lean but tender. You can have
both. How
long was your beef aged? I know our processor ages lean beef longer than
conventional
beef. Maybe this makes a difference as well.
Sue