market-farming - Re: Value added

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Value added
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 07:06:22 -0600

Our first 2001 market meeting is tonite and the public health people were
coming to tell us about the 2001 changes. Last year, they charged vendors
who were selling value-added foods (including any prepared food, jams,
jellies) $80 for a license. Our bakery people about fell over on that one
since they didn't have a license the previous year. Processed jams and
jellies have to be done in a commercial process - no home prepared canned
goods.

The specs on a certified kitchen changed so I quit doing bakery items. I
was baking and selling vegan quick breads at the market. It was a lot of
work in addition to picking and packing on Friday so I don't really miss
this...the customers did though.

Last year they let me go on the herbal vinegars. Didn't even have to pay a
license.
The vinegars were $4 per 8 oz. bottle and when they went out on the tables
they sold. I had french tarragon in white wine vinegar, garlic-basil (green
and purple) in red or white wine or apple cider vinegar, and
chile/ginger/cilantro in apple cider vinegar. After our freeze in October,
the herbal vinegars were about all I had to offer at the last markets. The
vinegars are taxed at the market as a food item (1% in Illinois).

I made red raspberry vinegar last year but decided to distribute it as gifts
and find out what people thought of it. I sure would be nice to find
someone who does organic raspberries in my area. I don't grow them myself.

For those of you who are doing food, I hope you have your liability
insurance in order. All you need is an accusation of food poisoning and you
end up in court whether they are right or wrong. A million $ policy would
probably be prudent.

By the way, the county inspectors came to every market at the beginning of
the season. They didn't necessarily identify themselves at a stand either.
They would ask you to do something that was in violation of the rules and
then give you a warning. (The WIC farmers market program also has "secret
shoppers" who will ask vendors to include illegal items in a coupon sale
too.)

Another value-added item is my corn wreaths. Each wreath has between 25 and
35 ears. The wreath's price is based entirely on the number of ears and
other items required for making the wreath with a minimum 50% mark-up.
Custom wreaths (where customers specified the colors of corn) are higher.
Most wreaths sell for around $35.

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL