market-farming - Re: Value added

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Value added
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 11:05:23 -0500

Hi list, thanks Robert I was thinking that as well (jam, jellies). I
purchased (they didn't give) a copy of state regs. for using your in house
kitchen for commercial products. I don't remember off the top of my head
what you are allowed to make but I do remember jam and jellies were ok, its
the high sugar content I think. Someone else was right, you follow the
state regs but its your local dept, in our case the town that gives final
approval. From what I've gleaned from reading you need to prove you get
everything clean enough. One of the regs was three sinks but further
reading one can be temporary tub. Reg dishwasher is ok if you can prove it
rinses at a certain temp. One reg I remember, if a bathroom connects to
kitchen (ours does) it must have a door that opens and closes automatically
ie push with foot not hands (keep 'em clean). Our town board of health guy
is ok from dealings we've had with him, he inspects the animals (he has no
ag background lol ) but my husband tours him around and it's obvious our
critter look good. I even mentioned the kitchen thing I could tell from his
response he had no clue, but was not opposed. I'd love to have use of an
outside commercial kitchen. That for now would be perfect. I could
probably use my churches kitchen but its in a different town! and it doesn't
have 3 sinks either :). Thanks Beth