market-farming - Value added

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Value added
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 09:20:15 -0500

Hi Robert, I have actually been meaning to ask you questions re value added
since I went to your web page, very nice. You mentioned you have a
commercial kitchen. Was that a project getting built? Is it in your reg.
kitchen? I am very intrigued about being hired as a speaker, I am not
afraid of public speaking, but what to talk about.......? Granted just the
fact that we farm is fairly "odd" enough in our area. I'd love to hear from
you and others who make a bit of $ from public speaking.
My specialty as far as value added would be jam, jelly, relish. I enjoy
making it and am good at it. It's the commercial kitchen thing thats a
problem. Thanks Beth

> I don't see how any of us can make it selling produce - competing
> against the overseas market with its exceptionally cheap labor. That
> said, I am going to try and sell some of our "extra" produce at a local
> farm market! Don't know I'll make much dough, but I see it as a way to
> not let things go to waste. I still remember the year I had to add 39
> heads of Mascara lettuce to the compost pile!
>
> How many of you are moving to - or trying to move to - value-added?
>
> --
> Robert Farr
> (540) 668-7160
> Check out http://www.chileman.com
> for ALL Natural Cooking & Grilling Sauces!
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: guldann AT ix.netcom.com
leave-market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/market-farming.faq