market-farming - Re: Value added

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: S & S Aqua Farm <snsaquasys AT townsqr.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Value added
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 09:24:13 -0600

At 10:18 AM 01/08/2001 -0500, Barry's wrote:
>Beth and all
>
>Be careful. Robert is telling you about his state. Your state regulations
>may be different. In Ohio, where we have our cannery and do jams, jellies,
>pickles, relishes, sauces, salsas, et. al., we are required to follow all
>FDA regulations. (Even for jams & jellies alone.)

<SNIP> much good information

Only one comment from me on this thread - even within the state you will
find variable interpretations from the various responsible officials. The
state, generally, will give you a copy of the regulations; but the actual
responsibility generally falls to the county agent. We've seem widely
different applications of the same regulations based on the individual
inspector. A little inquiry in your area about others experiences with a
particular person will go a long way toward helping you prepare. While some
seem to hold strictly to the state reg's, others seem to be able to
interpret them more realistically to get the job done.

If you talk to other producers before contacting the agent, you'll have some
idea of what's been done before (and what to expect for yourself). Many
places the agents are very flexible on the actual equipment/facility as long
as you maintain good sanitary practices in a separate "facility".

Paula Speraneo
S&S Aqua Farm, 8386 County Road 8820, West Plains, MO 65775 417-256-5124
Web page http://www.townsqr.com/snsaqua/