market-farming - Re: Value Added (was re: market-farming Working CSA Shares)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Value Added (was re: market-farming Working CSA Shares)
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 07:37:54 -0600

> Robert wrote:
>
> >How many of you are moving to - or trying to move to - value-added?

I agree value added can really help a farm make it. We are building a
community kitchen/business incubator in our county to try to help folks do
just that - and even if the growers themselves don't do it, people, by
buying from them, can help support them. But in any case, it will be an
option for people!

I may or may not do that. I am a _very_ small grower compared to many of
you. We grow for ourselves, for a trade deal with the neighbors who cut our
hay with their mower (we have balers and tractors, but not a mower), and for
sale at market. I don't make that much money, but I am passionate about
growing healthy food for people. The more I read about food and the
agribusiness system, and that cheap food mentioned in an earlier post, and
the result on the environment and ecosystems from growing that food, the
more I feel behooved to grow and learn how to grow in an ecologically sound
way. It is just me, pretty much, so there is a limit to what I can do as
far as quantity. But I try very hard to quality - especially for my
children.

Jill