market-farming - Re: Farmers Market Display ideas

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sojourner <sojournr AT missouri.org>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Farmers Market Display ideas
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 09:48:20 -0600

Elizabeth Pike wrote:

> Chris, I did this last year & found it was just a waste of time. Not one
> customer commented or discussed vit. cont. On the other side of that
> table, as a health conscious produce buyer(in the winter at least), I'm not
> particularly concerned with this either. JMHO.

I'm not experienced as a seller, but even so I'd go ahead and make up
some cards or a display about nutrition or vitamin content just as a
philisophical statement.

I'll tell you what often influenced me to buy at a farmer's market,
though - RECIPE CARDS. Or flyers with recipes. Give me some recipes
and I'll buy just about anything.

Except brocolli. Or cauliflower. Or asparagus . . .

Another thing that influenced my buying habits was, as Liz mentioned,
having prices listed. Not listed = no sale, for me. I was not
interested in standing there waiting to get someone's attention and then
have to ask them for the prices for half the stuff on their table.

And samples. Samples are always good if you can do them and not get
busted in the chops for some health regulation.

--
Holly ;-D
Contrary Peasant