market-farming - Re: Farmers Market Display ideas

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: Farmers Market Display ideas
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 11:20:49

As Holly said, RECIPES are the ticket!! I did mine along the line of
several cookbooks that came out last year-those 1,2,3, or only 5
ingredients. Most of these were basic recipes, but the simplicity got me a
sale 90% of the time.

Samples-these are easy & allowable, at least in my state. This is a tip
from restaurant work & one that will get heads up from health depts:use 2
display trays, bottom one filled with ice-if possible, or better yet, you
can purchase trays that are impregnated with a gel. You freeze the whole
container then use it to display your samples without getting them sopping
wet, plus the gel stays colder, longer, than ice. These are commonly
available at most restaurant supply stores. Have a clear cover to protect
from air borne germs & insects. I sampled mostly salad veggies, with
standard, straight from the grocery store dressing. I didn't want to take
a chance on making my own. (Then everyone would ask that I sell my great
tasting dressing!! Paul Newman-look out! Actually his brands were what I
used.) Fix up the display with greens on bottom, & serving sized veggies
or whatever on top. Keep dressing in the bottle with those tiny little
sample cups for serving. Be generous with size. Grab them by their eyes &
nose, tickle their tummies & you'll have a customer for life!

Liz
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC