market-farming - Re: food bank donations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: food bank donations
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 11:05:55 -0800

>Liz wrote below, Liz and list, One of my members is a long time church
friend, her retired husband has taken on a lot of charitable work I have
helped him in a small way once and awhile. I was in height of season and
when Martha said could I spare some tomatoes for her hubby. I said yes gave
her a dozen or so (her requested amount) and forgot all about it. A couple
weeks later at church she says oh hubby's meals on wheels people have not
stopped talking about the tomatoes. Some said they hadn't had a garden
tomato in years. This was late in the season so no more got sent. But this
year I am going to make sure they tomatoes on a reg. basis.
My husband teaches at a private catholic school and one of his students for
community service traded his labor for vegetables. The vegetables he
delivered to a soup kitchen. The first delivery of tomatoes was in prime
time so he brought about 80 lbs he said the workers gushed as he stack them
on a table. I like the low income elderly complex thing though. Beth