market-farming - Re: Farmers Market Display ideas

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: Farmers Market Display ideas
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 10:32:29

Chris, I did this last year & found it was just a waste of time. Not one
customer commented or discussed vit. cont. On the other side of that
table, as a health conscious produce buyer(in the winter at least), I'm not
particularly concerned with this either. JMHO.

For farmer's market displays, I found in doing my research (I visited many
fm for 2 years!) & in doing my own booth, anything that I could do opposite
of what was the stand norm really upped my booth's impact. Fms all have
their own personality, so these changes will vary from stand to stand. At
our stand, no one used table cloths. So I used bright blue & white checked
fabric on my tables-noticeable as soon as you stepped in the door.
Everyone displayed their flowers on the floor. I moved mine to the table.
Everyone used the same regulation required tables. I brought in an antique
goat cart, & children's wagons. No one displayed prices. I did. (This is
the single most stupid mistake any business person can make, whether you
sell produce or diamonds! Customers deserve better than this common
practice at fms. For every customer who asks how much, you've lost 5.)
Produce was most commonly displayed in the cardboxes they came in
(resellers--ugh!!!), I used wicker flats. Vendors could not/would not
change hundred dollar bills. I did-and I always got the first customers of
the day. Why? Because other vendors came to me for change first thing in
the morning. When those first customers walked through the doors, my booth
appeared crowded with customers, which attracted more. Like flies to honey
(Ever visit a town & look for a good restaurant?? The best ones are the
ones with all the cars. Locals know where the good stuff is!)

It's a game. Psycological warfare for those almighty dollars. I plan to
stay in business!

Liz
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC