livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More on Low Dairy and Meat Diets

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More on Low Dairy and Meat Diets
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 20:40:38 +0100

You said, when laws are wrong they need to be challanged. And by the way, that would be tens of thousands of laws to challenge. Challenge all you want. However, protests no matter how big don't even get reported in the major media. You can try lawsuits but it takes millions and years and they always have deeper pockets. And of course, hordes of people will challenge laws THEY think are wrong but you don't.

I'm trying to make the point that the only way masses of people can change anything is to change who they work for and how they spend their money. Like, in my small way I bypass the whole corporate chain and sell good food I grow directly to people who enjoy it. And I don't need anybody's permission.

Not to upset you Paul but about 6 months ago I got a list of US regulations and what was very hot was the obligation to make absolutely sure that no wild-life could contaminate vegetables. Lakes had to be filled in and trees had to be cut beside vegetable land to discourage birds from flying over and drop something. Everything else alive had to be shot or poisoned. If for instance a rabbit was seen between the carrots all the vegetables had to be destroyed.
I am sure you have the same feelings about this than I do. What we are both really doing is working under big brothers radar. We are small and we keep our heads down. I do not sell vegetables or any of the other foods we grow or make ourselves. If I did TPTB would descend on me like a ton of bricks.

The real question is how long we will be able to keep doing this. I am sure indefinitely is not the right answer. In fact I feel we are in a race against time. Either things crash fast and we have the skills to keep eating or things drag on and we loose near everything and then we crash and we go down with the rest.
I am also on a list about indigenous people and how they are driven into extinction. The South Africans have I think just stopped drilling for water in the Kala Hari desert, emptying the water holes of the 'Kun san. Tribes everywhere have to move when dams or mining are concerned just as I would be overrun if minerals would be discovered here or if Wal-Mart wanted a parking lot where your gardens are now you would be concreted over.

People producing food on a small scale are living fossils. Big corporations have been working these last decades to get a complete world wide food monopoly and make no mistake they will get exactly where they want to be and it is only a matter of time before they notice the small fry that has gotten through their nets up till then.
john