livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] rooftop gardens, was: Farms in Skyscrapers Won't Solve Our Food Problems

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] rooftop gardens, was: Farms in Skyscrapers Won't Solve Our Food Problems
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 12:50:38 -0600

I hate to explain the obvious but manure doesn't start out in slurry tanks.
CAFOs stink for miles around.

As for the rooftop growing, I thought it was too obvious to go into detail.
It may be an interesting hobby for the few with roofs already engineered for
the weight. But as a real food production alternative for the other 99.9%
it's about the dumbest thing they could try. Even if they have a flat roof,
even if it doesn't cave in and destroy the house, the total cost will be so
high that any food they get from it will cost ten times what they could get
it for at Whole Foods or farmers markets. Not to mention retrofitting a roof
to support it could cost as much as a new house.

You end with
>What you're saying is that it doesn't work for you so why
>would you even look at it? Fine, just don't throw the baby
>out with the bathwater for someone else.

FYI I know a little about growing costs as a market grower myself.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME. You can destroy your home, and probably city
codes won't allow it anyway even if you can afford the high cost of growing
food on the roof. And getting up and down from the roof may be dangerous for
those not used to working on roofs.