livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Hydroponics & Soil Organisms/brix

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Hydroponics & Soil Organisms/brix
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 16:01:25 -0600

You wrote:
For $40 you can pick up a refractometer that will tell you precisely what
your brix levels are in your plants. You dont need to send it out for
testing at all. If your brix levels are high enough there is no soil borne
disease or even aphids. molds, fungus and sucking insects dont like high
brix plants. YOur produce wont mold in your fridge and your tomatoes will
stay good out on the counter for over a year. You can also use it to help
your hydroponics program to ascertain exactly what nutrients your plants are
asking for at any given time. There is a yahoo group called brixtalk that
has a wealth of information as well as lots of very experienced folks - some
of the top folks in the world are on that list. However, no one on this
planet has the technology to know "exactly what nutrients your plants are
asking for at any given time"

Blessings,
Aliza
-------------------

Aliza, we've tossed damaged tomatoes and other veggies out in the sun or
shade and nothing molds for months if ever. However, we do have grasshoppers
that nibble on cracked tomatoes and carrot and potato foliage and some herbs.
I'm on the brixtalk list. We got tomatoes brix tested last year and the brix
read 12. However, no one on this planet has the incredibly advanced science
or technology to know "exactly what nutrients your plants are asking for at
any given time". And the thought of knowing how much of what nutrients is
needed is pure fantasy. No one even knows all the nutrients different plants
use, because they are not limited to periodic elements. We know there are
complex plant biochemicals produced in symbiosis with microbes in soil that
are simply beyond our science to even identify, much less replicate
synthetically.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net
listowner