livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "Down with raised beds" by Gene Logsdon

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "Down with raised beds" by Gene Logsdon
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 11:08:11 -0700 (PDT)

You won't see me abandoning my very high raised beds any time soon.  I have them high enough that I can sit my fat, creaky, arthritic booty on (currently with a leg all bandaged up in a brace, just to walk) and garden in a comfortable, accessible manner, without stressing my stiff back.  This has allowed me to keep my beds above the marsh my yard turns into and not have to deal with the percolating clay, either.  That clay is highly nutritious for the plants, in small doses.  I can scoop up a bit with the compost.

Raised beds are accessible, they don't strain my back and I can still garden when it is strained or I am having an asthma attack.

Yours (out of lurk), Pego