livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "Down with raised beds" by Gene Logsdon

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>, pvukovic1@yahoo.com
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "Down with raised beds" by Gene Logsdon
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 10:38:57 -0700 (PDT)

The best example of beds on a slope are the ones I have seen in Honduras in an organic, no-till field.  The slope was 72ยบ.  It is not correct to say the beds were "raised".  All the things mentioned as the advantage for raised beds are just as true for "permanent beds".

The only reason I can see to make "raised beds" by double digging them to make them raise up is that the yield the first year will be higher than otherwise.  But all that work???  I have been there.  Organic, no-till will get there, also.

Ken H