livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "Down with raised beds" by Gene Logsdon

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: pete <pete.rout@virgin.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "Down with raised beds" by Gene Logsdon
  • Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 20:03:16 +0100

When people talk to me about raised beds I never advise boxing them in.  They always harbour pests such as slugs and ants.  You also lose valuable micro climates on the sides of the beds as they curve to the centre.
Pete

I agree with Gene.  I stopped double digging years ago.  I stopped using the term "raised bed" and use "permanent bed".  As organic materials are added, they will slowly get higher.

Ken Hargesheimer