livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Food stamp recipients pinched by high food prices

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: kathie wood <whisperingwind190@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Food stamp recipients pinched by high food prices
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 07:11:39 -0700 (PDT)

I joined this group as I am one of those seniors who fall just above the poverty level and only get a limited income monthly. I am trying to get a garden going as best I can but this silly weather is making what growing season I have left very short. I am looking around this area for used windows people want to give away so that I can somehow build a small greenhouse or growing boxes to help further my plants growth along. It is scary how things asre changing and beings I live off grid I am truthfully very afraid of what this coming winter will bring. I use not only gasoline for my generator and have solar, I use porpane for my refrigerator and cook stove too.I may very well have to turn to be a vegetarian when I can no longer afford to buy propane to keep my meats, milk and eggs cold. We all shall see soon I am afraid. Kat

Liz <liz@allslash.org> wrote:
At 12:37 PM 5/21/2008, you wrote:
>It caught me that they kept saying that the food stamps aren't increasing
>with the price increases of food. Well the paychecks of the working class
>(and other classes but I'm less worried about them) aren't going up either -

I was thinking that too. My expenses have almost doubled, because gas
accounts for most of it. It's likely that there will be a small
increase in what I get paid per inspection, but it isn't going to
come anywhere near the percentage of increase in cost. And I'll get
that only if the prime contractor decides to share a bit more of what
she gets paid. She's done that twice in the current contract, and
there's no guarantee that she can afford to do it again.

>That's what scares me, that those who are
>just above the poverty line will fall below it and not have any help
>available for them.

What the article says about mothers giving their children whatever
will fill them up, whether it's good for them or not, is truly scary.
That's third-world thinking, the kind of thing that makes people eat
mud cookies in Haiti.

>I'm glad I live in an area where I can grow my own food. 'Cause at least I
>have that. As it is I'm pretty sure we won't be able to afford oil next
>winter unless they adjust the income levels for fuel assistance, but to not
>be able to afford food as well, well that's a real kick in the face.

I've noticed that people are getting more creative in using coupons,
but of course the problem with them is that they're usually good only
for highly processed "food." I hear friends bragging about spending
only $100 for $150 worth of food, but when I ask them what they
bought, it's cereal and pasta dinners and packaged pizza.

Grow that garden. I try to bring that up with everyone I talk to, and
more and more people are responding that yes, they're growing a
garden this year too. Every little bit helps.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com