livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Agriculture and Food Consumption

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Harold and Sue Karber" <karber@pldi.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Agriculture and Food Consumption
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 23:35:39 -0500

Grass fed animals do not eat grain so do not lessen the grain available to humans nor do they need the grain used to produce ethanol for fuel for cars which is so dumb. My hay areas are not fit for crops and I don't want to loose the trees or the top soil but rather build on both. My husband has to have protein in meat. I don't require as much. He is unable to eat soy at all period as is one of our sons. Many animals earn their keep even goats can pull a cart. Cover crops can add to winter feed as well and still make green manure. Minerals and sea salt are given free choice. Chickens can be raised on worms, fly larva that is raised for that purpose and not allowed to become flies, other bugs raised on purpose and free range. Fish can be raised with worms that also add castings for gardens that are raised on bunny poo and bedding, with eggs that always enter the garden adding worms to the land.... I can stick a shovel anywhere and find worms on my place. That is good for everyone. The fish water repurposed for watering garden when drawn down to clean and some fish/plants can actually help clean water. One of my best friends and his family are now seeing how much animals contribute to the veggies we give them and they are second and third generation vegetarians but new to how they get their food. They are now using clean animal manure in their tiny city garden, actually loving going to farmer's markets in the area instead of the big commercial stores. World of difference in quality, quantity for the same price. The farmer's market has really been an education since the growers talk to their customers and educate them and even help the customer grow their little gardens better. As a second and third generation vegetarian they had totally lost contact with the real world of food. Many people have. The multinational corporations have really done a number on consumers who don't realize that locally organically grown is their only true friend in supplying their food and needs to be protected.
----- Original Message ----- From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>