livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Agriculture and Food Consumption

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Aliza" <realfood@wonderfulfarm.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Agriculture and Food Consumption
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 11:00:00 -0700

I am getting so tired of this whole grain/water consumption commentary about livestock. It is only a truth within the context of the conventional ag community. Lots of folks out there doing pasture fed (no or almost no grain) meats and dairy. While reduced consumption is helpful the biggest help will come from changing the way we grow our meats and dairy.

Aliza

<<<<<Because livestock are heavy consumers of grain, water, and land,
reevaluating our levels of meat consumption is another key step toward
balanced living. The Worldwatch Institute reports: "Perhaps the greatest
potential for increasing food use efficiency lies in reducing consumption
of meat...[R]educing consumption of [livestock], especially beef, could
free up massive quantities of grain and reduce pressures on land."(2)>>>>>>