livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Agriculture and Food Consumption

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Agriculture and Food Consumption
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 19:30:48 -0700 (PDT)

Carrie and other rabbit producers,

I have followed their rabbit business since day 1.  The son was 12-14 yeas old when he began raising rabbits on grass and was doing so to produce meat but after a short time the demand for breeders became more important.  He is now graduated from college and last time I heard was back on the farm, married with a couple kids.

I have an article which tells about raising rabbits all together rather than in cages.  Cost was very, very low.  Used an old hen house with deep bedding.  I asked a rabbit breeder about this and he said "we stopped doing that 50 years ago" but some of us like to "think outside the box" and the person said that they had no problems raising them in a "herd".   I have read about a Nigerian doing this.

Has anyone tried it?

Ken Hargesheimer

Carrie Shepard <carrieshepard@yahoo.com> wrote:
I hadn't followed their meat rabbit enterprise and am intrigued by that info about grazing them.