livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Agriculture and Food Consumption

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Carrie Shepard <carrieshepard@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Agriculture and Food Consumption
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 09:55:06 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for the reminder, Mark,  of Joel Salatin's website.  I have the pastured poultry profits book and have read Family Friendly Farming.  Both are very inspiring.

I hadn't followed their meat rabbit enterprise and am intrigued by that info about grazing them without the bunnies getting diarhea.  My understanding was that bunnies on the ground would have problems with pinworms.  I suppose I need to get back on one of the meatrabbit lists and ask them what they're doing about that.    I've got french angora rabbits and am interested in getting a couple new zealand or other meat breed does next spring IF I can get another housing setup and automate the water.   I've found that as long as the chickens do NOT roost on top of the rabbit cages, they do a great job of keeping up with spilt bunny food and turning/scratching bunny manure IF I add straw or hay below the cages.  Since I'm raising the angoras for fiber, it is NOT pleasant to have chickens poop on them.

blessings,
Carrie

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!