livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Whole Foods

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Whole Foods
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:44:13 -0700

A more serious problem with Whole Foods is it's not exactly "whole" at all.
90% of their grocery items are processed and not local, shipped from who
knows how far away, with the attendant loss of nutrients and taste. Hardly
"whole" foods. Anything packaged or boxed is processed. As for their
prices, they can't compete with fresh farmers' market produce. In my area
at least, the markets have more reasonable prices. And in fact we find
better prices on the groceries we have to buy, at Trader Joe's and
Sunflower Market. And both carry more organic produce than Whole Foods. We
have no reason to pay Whole Foods prices.