livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Whole Foods

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Whole Foods
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 09:59:17 -0700

Around here, TJ's does not carry staples, such as organic brown rice, organic whole wheat flour, organic rolled oats, organic lentils -- perhaps because they're not hard to find in other local independent grocery stores. The product mix is goofy and unpredictable. I find it a bit offensive that they "push" out-of-season produce so much, such as cheap southern hemisphere blueberries in winter. And it seems that whenever I discover a favorite prepared food, they discontinue it a few months later. It is a great source for "healthy junk food," however. (Though I've noticed that WF has started offering these items at the same prices. Sigh. Homogenization.)

One small independent natural foods store is still hanging on in this area, but the prices on some staple items are 50 percent more than WF! It, unlike the chains, is always a pleasant place to shop.

The main fault I find with WF is that sometimes the stench from the deli permeates the whole store, so I leave without buying anything. If this happened often, I would no longer shop there.