livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Whole Foods

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Whole Foods
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 08:57:08 -0700 (PDT)

Most of the arguments about Whole Foods turn out to be
gripes and kvetches. I can nater on about how they
sell that nasty foreign produce (always clearly marked
as conventionally grown) that has so much pesticide on
it but their buyer always seems to get the tastiest,
buying in volume has it's nice moments.

The only 2 real complaints that I have about WF is
their anti-union stance. The guy that started it all
is quite anti-union, and paternalistically feels that
if he provides a great place to work he shouldn't have
to put up with unions. He does generally make a great
place but his idea of a great place is only his own,
without outside input, even so, he has been right
enough to make the list of the top 50 places to work.

The other complaint is that WF does tend to make it
more difficult for small stores to stay in business.
A typical corporation complaint and there are pro's
and con's about it <shrug> The Yay is about an organic
and local oriented business making sexy good.

Yours, Pego

It's here! Your new message!