livingontheland - [Livingontheland] off-season produce, was Re:Whole Foods

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>, Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] off-season produce, was Re:Whole Foods
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 14:37:19 -0700

Title: off-season produce, was Re:Whole Foods
Look into 4-season growing. I've seen Coleman's book recommended in many places. I'm fortunate to live in a climate where I can grow year-round (some produce, not all). Or root cellars can keep produce without canning and freezing.

Or if there's anyone at all in your region that produces Oct-Apr, find out if any of them have CSAs or if the area can support another farmers' market, or an extension of a month in either direction. We have 2 year-round farmers' markets within 10 miles on Sunday mornings, and I just heard a third one is starting next month! (That's in addition to 2 Apr-Dec markets on Saturdays.)

Does anyone still have food co-ops? That was my favorite place to shop before they all closed.