livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] growing even more food including herbs

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Laura McKenzie" <laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] growing even more food including herbs
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:51:33 -0600

Gloria,

One more thing. I'm a scrounger. My husband had some very old metal shelves that had caved in after years of use. I used dowels to reinforce the shelves after I straightened them and then hung shoplights from the underside of each shelf. We bought a couple of new kitty litter pans to fill with soil. In the heat of the summer I have spinach and lettuce growing in my basement/garage under the lights. Of course in the winter and spring the shelves are used for seed starting. In the summer I make room for starting my broccoli and cabbage in cooler conditions and leave them in larger pots until the weather finally gets cool enough in late October to plant them out.

I'm excited because I found Birmingham (about 50 miles away) has a Habitat For Humanity Thrift Store. Someday I'll find time to get there and see what else I can scrounge up.

Laura
Laura's Homeschooling, Garden, and Genealogy Site
is found here: http://home.att.net/~ekyorigins