livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] those $1,000 permaculture certificates...

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] those $1,000 permaculture certificates...
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:22:17 -0800

Title: Re: [Livingontheland] those $1,000 permaculture certificat
bobby g asked,
>i was wondering what a decent set of readings would be
>that would you know, approximate the learning you'd
>get in one of those certificate courses?

Here are a couple web sites to start
http://www.foodnotlawns.com/
http://www.patternliteracy.com/

In any worthwhile course, what you get is determined by what you put in (as well as, to a lesser extent, who the instructors are), and I'd assume the best of the courses are experiential (hands-on). What permaculture has to offer (besides a one-word search term for lots of different things) is a systems approach. So basically, like gardening, it's a lifelong apprenticeship. Read a couple pc books to get the point of view of permaculture, which at its best is about life design as well as garden-->community-->region design.

I didn't pay $1K for a certificate, but I did take a one-semester permaculture course at the local community college (very cheap) in Oakland, Calif.!! Since I already had horticulture experience, what the course offered was mostly networking -- info on what was going on locally.