livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] commune way of living

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "D Knoll" <homeschool@iontreasures.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] commune way of living
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:03:01 -0400

In the history of civilizations, given the choice of starving or raiding
someone else's supplies, humans choose raiding.

I would like to have more prepared neighbors, but my neighbors are married
to their suburban dream. They think we are crazy to grow food instead of
grass, they call county code enforcement for rain barrels and compost piles
(even though these are not against code compliance), none of the adult males
have a screwdriver between them, or even know how to work one. They have no
interest in being self-sufficient, but if things get tough, I have no doubt
they'll be knocking down our door (although with what, I don't know, maybe
they'll use their lawnmowers) wanting their bread from the little red hen
that did ALL the work preparing it. And they don't want any new information.
We are the big joke of the neighborhood (unless someone needs help from my
husband).

So these are not good, safe people to be in a community with, I would
imagine it is like this in many suburban areas, where people live together
in a rather random manner. These are the most dangerous people we may have
to contend with, ignorant and unprepared, and they don't WANT to be
prepared.

But one of them did give my husband a huge bottle of Jim Beam for fixing his
screen door handle, we figure that will be a nice bit of barter down the
road!

Diane

Zone 9A, a few miles east of the Gulf of Mexico

> Laura,
>
> Take another look around you. Getting away from the "community" is the
> wisest thing a family could do. Those people we now call our friends and
> neighbors could very easily turn on us and become our worst ennemies. What
> would happen if you were the only one in a community that had food and
> water? You and your family would probably be killed and your food and
water
> carried off by your friends and neighbors.
>
> During what they call "The great depression" in the 1930's things got
pretty
> bad but if the same thing should happen now you can't even imagine what
our
> world would become. Most people don't believe this could happen again but
> they are dead wrong. In fact it could happen a lot easier now and be many
> times worse a lot quicker.
>
> It is said that in the LA Basin in California there is only a 3 days
supply
> of most food items at any one time. The rest is on trucks headed in that
> direction. A lot of the Northeast is no doubt in the same shape. What
would
> happen if those trucks stopped and the food supply ran out in these areas?
> If your kids were hungry and you knew there was food down the street for
the
> taking would you sit and watch your kids starve to death? No you wouldn't
> and I wouldn't either and most important your friends and neighbors won't
> either.
>
> While we are figuring ways to grow our food and things along this line we
> must also be figuring ways to conseal what we have in ways that no one
will
> know we have it. A consealed root cellar stocked full of food could very
> easily mean being able to survive long enough to see the worst pass. I
> wouldn't want to be forced to kill to keep what I had but that is exactly
> what it would come down to if people knew you still had food.
>
> People have no idea what we are all facing in the near future. Now is the
> time to prepare for it, not after you can see it coming.
>
> Art in Arkansas

The