livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] commune way of living

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] commune way of living
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:29:05 -0600

Uriel, I've been following the IC movement for over 30 years, give or take
a few. Let me stress that they don't list hundreds of communes at
http://www.ic.org/pnp/myths.php . Their "intentional communities" cover
everything from dormitory arrangements to "ecovillages, cohousing,
residential land trusts, communes, student co-ops, urban housing
cooperatives, and other projects where people strive together with a common
vision". And very little of those have anything to do with living and
working on the land. I've been on the IC discussion list a long time, and
all I've ever seen about food growing and rural living is talk. A lot of
talk, such as "the Eden Project".

They say "Many people use these terms interchangeably, however, it is
probably more useful to use the term "commune" to describe a particular
kind of intentional community whose members live "communally" in an
economic sense--operating with a common treasury and sharing ownership of
their property. Most intentional communities are not communes, though some
of the communities most active in the communities movement are."

By their definition, I haven't found any working communes since the '70s.
Though they list 540 intentional communities in North America, where are
the communes? I'm not counting religious groups supported and governed by
an outside organization like a temple or diocese. I should point out that
on that list almost no ICs are rural agricultural groups. I wish they were.

I often mention the need for community and I argue that individual,
isolated self sufficiency is a myth.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net